In the US we celebrate Memorial Day the last Monday in May. It was formerly known as 'Decoration Day' and honored the Union soldiers lost in the Civil War. By the 20th century Memorial Day was a day to remember ALL our men and women who have been lost while serving in the military.
Some people use Memorial Day weekend to usher in the summer, to BBQ and hang out with friends and family . My family does something a little different..... We attend local ceremonies in town that honor those that have been lost, we walk through the cemeteries and pay our respect to the fallen warriors. As a military family it is important to us to pay our respects and teach our children what the day is really about. This year we will be joining my friend, who is a Gold Star mom, at the Alaska Veterans Memorial to pay respect to her son, and to all the others who have made the ultimate sacrifice.
So as a challenge we are asking you to make a patriotic card or a card of remembrance for someone you may have known, use the colors provided below or mash it up and create a patriotic/remembrance card with the colors provided. We've also got a special part to this challenge....take your project and donate to a wounded warrior, to a loved one of a military member that has passed or to your local veterans chapter. You can also mail your cards to Holly and she will hand deliver cards to Walter Reed National Military Hospital.
- Make a project that's "Patriotic or for Remembrance".
- Or Make a project with the colors " Whisper White, Night of Navy, Poppy Parade & daffodil Delight."
- Or "Mash it Up" and create a "Remembrance or Patriotic project using the colors above."
- Donate your card to a Wounded Solider or that Special Service Member in your Life!
* If you would like to Donate a Card to a Wounded Service Member you can send your cards to Holly. The Red Cross at the Walter Reed National Medical Center will accept the cards and distribute them to Wounded Service Members throughout the hospital. Please send your cards to Holly Endress P.O. Box 18 Arnold, MD 21012 no later then May 31st. She will be hand delivering them to the Red Cross.
Supplies used(all supplies SU unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: The Free and the Brave
Paper: Night of Navy, Poppy Parade, Daffodil Delight, Whisper White
Ink: Black StazOn, Poppy Parade, Night of Navy, Crumb Cake
Accessories: Cuttlebug, Distressed Stripes EF, Cricut, Stand and Salute Cartridge(yellow ribbon), blender pens, dimensionals